We’re lucky enough to have another little niece or nephew on the way as our sister gears up to have a baby in a week or two, so a couple of weekends back we thought we would throw her a mini shower. She didn’t want any fuss, just a few friends and family together for some afternoon tea style celebrations. So that’s exactly what we did. We pulled out our favourite recipes, asked guests to bring along any goodies they wanted and assembled a gorgeous spread of food for the mum-to-be. We had a lovely afternoon and thought we’d share with you a little of what was on offer.
Recipe One: Carrot & Cinnamon Cupcakes
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 100g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 eggs
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 200g carrots, grated
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 160C fan. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flours, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and oil, before stirring into the dry ingredients. Also, stir in the grated carrot.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cases and bake for between 20 and 22 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before icing.
For the cream cheese frosting
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 300g soft cheese
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 carrot shaped sugar decorations
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy, before beating in the soft cheese, icing sugar and vanilla.
- Use a piping bag and nozzle to swirl the icing on top of the cakes, then top with with decorations.
Recipe Two: Clotted Cream Shortbread