I have to tell you before we start that these are delicious. Yes, I say that about a number of things that I post here, but these really are lovely, and I had a difficult job not scoffing them all myself the evening I made them. They’re not quite as ‘fritter-like’ as you might guess they would be, I think that would require deep frying them, but I suppose this just means that these ones are healthier, and a little more like mini pancakes – yum! This recipe has been adapted from this Tapas book.
- 75g red pepper
- 1 medium egg
- 125ml milk
- 50g red onion, chopped finely
- 160g corn kernels
- 75g self-raising flour
- Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
- Olive oil, for frying
- Roast the pepper on a baking tray under a medium grill, until the skin blackens. Remove from under the grill, cover the baking tray with foil and leave to cool. Once it’s cool, you should easily be able to remove the skin and chop finely.
- Whisk the egg and milk in a large bowl, before stirring in the vegetables. Season to taste. Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda and stir until fully combined.
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add as many teaspoonfuls of the vegetable mixture as you can, leaving space to turn them over. Heat for approximately 2 minutes each side, until browned.
Photo Credit: Lucy