This is a lovely little hot drink for those long Winter nights when you fancy a cocktail, but want something more warm and comforting. This will be just the ticket and can be made using any suitable alcohol (look online for the best things to pair with chocolate but we used coffee liqueur and I would also recommend brandy). This recipe serves two, so enjoy with a loved one this December.
- 500ml milk, whole for richer flavour
- 60g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 50ml coffee liqueur
- Whipped cream and cocoa powder for topping
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until hot but not boiling.
- To the hot milk, add the chocolate and sugar and stir until both have melted in.
- Put half of the coffee liqueur into one glass and the other half in another.
- Pour the hot chocolate mixture over the liqueur in the glasses.
- Top each drink with some whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder.