I’ve been enjoying bringing you some of the easy and delicious meals I’ve been preparing over the last few weeks for myself and the Mr. and here’s another one for you today, which is as easy and delicious as all the rest. Although I enjoy spending time in the kitchen, when I get home from a long day at work, I prefer meals that can be whipped up in less than half an hour, and this is as quick and filling as they come. This recipe, from an Asda magazine, serves 3 or 4 depending on portion size.
- 325g penne
- 4 rashers of smoked bacon
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 325g frozen peas
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Add the penne to a pan of boiling water and cook according to the packet instructions, which is usually around 10 minutes. When you drain the pasta, reserve 150ml of the cooking water.
- While the penne is cooking, fry the bacon in half of the oil, until it crisps up. Put on a plate covered in kitchen towel.
- Add the rest of the oil to another pan and fry the onion until soft. Add the pasta liquid, peas and herbs. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove two thirds of the peas from the pan and add to the pasta. Add the rest of the mixture to a blender and blitz until liquified.
- Season and stir into the pasta. Cut up and sprinkle the bacon on top as you serve.