One of my favourite things for my boy and I to do on the weekends is to spend a Saturday evening with a bunch of snacks and movies, chilling out and spending time together. It’s pretty easy to set up your own at-home movie date night, when you feel like shutting everything else out and just enjoy some movies (good or bad) and pig out a bit on junk food. Here’s how our set up usually goes.
- We prepare and set up a bunch of snack foods on our coffee table, within easy reach of the sofa, before we start watching.
- We mostly choose food that can be pulled together super easily – popcorn, sweets, cookies, nuts and nachos.
- Make the seating as comfortable as possible – all our blankets and cushions come out, to make it warm and inviting to camp out on the sofa for the evening.
- All phones, iPads and any other distractions are left in another room – this is about uninterrupted time together.
- When it gets dark, I light lots of candles, just to keep the atmosphere cozy.
- We always pick out a movie each, just to keep things fair – it opens us both up to watching new things and it’s showing an interest in what the other person enjoys.
There are few better evenings than one like this, with good food, good entertainment and good company – it’s such a cheap, easy way to have a bit of a different night in with your other half.